Florida and "B" Movies

I'm beginning to see a pattern with Florida State Parks and bad horror movies (by the way, does the "B" for B-rated movies come from "bad?"). Last month I visited Wakulla Springs State Park where "Creature from the Black Lagoon" was filmed. Today I visited Eden Gardens State Park in Point Washington, Fla. The home itself has an impressive collection of Louis XVI furniture, once belonging to a timber family and most recently, Lois Maxon - a descendant of royalty and former employee of some New York City-based newspaper (the guide couldn't tell me much more).

The 1972 horror flick "Frogs" was filmed here. 1972 was prior to groovy animation and film manipulation so the film producers held a casting call for frogs (well, not really, they accepted all frogs). The frogs' agents were compensated .05 per frog. Don't know if this was prior to Kermit the Frog or maybe he had already made it big by 1972, but I'm pretty sure he didn't make a cameo in this one.

Comments